Wednesday, January 4, 2012

REVIEW: Claire de Lune

I finished Christine Johnson's Claire de Lune on New Year's Eve, and it was a really pleasant surprise! It's not that I expected it to be bad or anything, but werewolves just aren't my thing. I don't actively dislike them the way some people do, but I don't seek them out, either. But Christine and I had started chatting on Twitter, so I wanted to try her books. I didn't tell her when I had started the book so that if it wasn't my thing, I could just pretend the whole thing never happened . . .

But I wound up really liking it! Her heroine, Claire, felt very real, and though of course I always identify with unpopular YA heroines who read a lot, it was sort of refreshing having one who cared about boys and makeup and wanted to be normal. There are some very sweet dating scenes that lead to an awesome forbidden romance, and while often these romances with life-or-death stakes seem contrived or exaggerated, in this case, all of the conflict in the book grew organically from the rules of the universe that Johnson had created, so it worked. This didn't convert me into a werewolf fan in general, but I'll definitely be reading the sequel!

1 comment:

  1. I usually just like werewolves when Damon is dispatching them. Heeee.

    ReplyDelete