Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Library Report: Why did I get this, again?

(This will be another ongoing feature - I will report on what I get from the library so you can yell at me/point and laugh if I don't actually read it. I have a very bad habit of borrowing more books than I possibly have time for and returning them unread. Must get better about that.)

I went to the library after work today because I had two holds come in. The first was Marie Lu's Legend, which I've heard awesome things about and am quite excited to read. The second was Michael Ondaatje's The Cat's Table, which . . . huh? Why do I have this? I know Ondaatje is quite popular and critically acclaimed, but the only one of his I've read is The English Patient, and I didn't particularly like this. And yet, I must have read something about this new one that made me put myself on the library's hold list for it, and now that it's here, I can't remember what. I thought maybe it was on the Booker longlist, but I just checked, and no. It's a mystery. ANYWAY. I guess I will give it a try!

I also wandered the YA section a bit, as I am wont to do, and picked up Rachel Hawkins's Demonglass, since I liked Hex Hall, and also Paula Jolin's In the Name of God, because it looked interesting and I like borrowing books I've never heard of sometimes, to break me out of my little bubble of authors I know/authors they know/etc.

Actual reading: Haven't had much time, but I'm plugging away at Liberty's Exiles. I shouldn't say "plugging away" because it's fascinating! Just a little slower than many of the books I read. Also, I keep accidentally ordering books this week, but I will report on THOSE when they arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment