Sunday, December 4, 2011

One down!

Well, this is off to a reasonable start. I finished The Spy Who Came In from the Cold last night. It was GREAT; review tomorrow. I'm glad I'm finally managing to read Le Carré, because he's one of my father's favorite authors, and I've been meaning to read him for years and years. And I'm extra glad that I'm really liking the books on their own merits, aside from the warm associations I have with them.

And the Kindle books: I finished the first one this afternoon and am almost halfway done with the second. I'll probably try to finish that tonight, or at least come close. I'm still in the mood for Larsson but the deadline for that isn't quite as soon as some other deadlines I have, so I'm putting that on the back burner for now. Here are my priorities for the upcoming week instead:

1. The Kindle books: there are four total. The press embargo lifts Thursday so I'd like to have them done by Wednesday so I have time to write. So far, they've been quick reads, so I'm not too worried. These are the first books I've read on a Kindle, and it's an interesting experience. I don't think I'm going to completely convert any time soon, but it will be a nice option to have for travel, certain library books, etc.

2. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carré: I watched the first five hours of the BBC miniseries today - sensing a theme? - so I have one more hour to watch and then I'm going to read the book. The new movie comes out next weekend, and I really want to read the book before seeing the movie.

3. Liberty's Exiles by Maya Jasanoff: This is on the "unfinished books" list, and it's due back at the library on Friday, so it will be my priority from that list this week. It's interesting but a little slow going.

4. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare: As I mentioned yesterday, I want to finish this and then read Clockwork Prince as quickly as possible so I don't get completely spoiled. CP is out on Tuesday and I'll start it as soon as I finish CoFA.

5. Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn: I'm working on something about Christmas books, and a bunch of people suggested this, so I need to read it to see if it should be included. That post is scheduled to go up Friday, so the goal is to finish this by Thursday.

Hrm. This is one of those lists that seemed fine in my head but looks ridiculously ambitious now that I've written it out. Oh well. We'll see what I can do. In the comments,* someone suggested quitting the multi-book habit cold turkey. I've tried that. Many times. It just doesn't work for me. I generally have one main book and an alternate or two for when I'm not in the mood. To clarify, though, the list on the right is not meant to imply that I was reading all of those at once. Rather, those are all books I picked up, read part of, and then abandoned with the bookmark in. I like all of them, so far; I just got distracted. So that's why I'm making a conscious effort to concentrate on them now.

* I'm going to be responding to comments in posts, because there's no way to make them threaded and this seems like the best way to let people know I've responded.

No comments:

Post a Comment